Looking for timber for the Forty Niners, gold miners who needed the lumber to shore up mines, rail tracks, and for building homes, California entrepreneurs looked to the Seattle area. In 1864, the forefathers of Puget Mill Company began buying land in the area west of John McGilvra’s Madison Park real estate holdings and soon thereafter bought 200 acres that would later become Broadmoor. They continued to purchase land that included Washington Park and the Arboretum. In 1896, over 30 years later, the Puget Mill Company began logging the property.
Meanwhile, in 1895 the new University of Washington campus began taking shape with its first building, Denny Hall, being completed. In 1899, the Board of Regence decreed “in addition to all the other needs of the institution, there could be established here a scientific arboretum.” The Puget Mill Company agreed to trade 62 acres of a ravine area to the City of Seattle in exchange for a $35,000 water main for its real estate development. The ravine area is now the University of Washington Arboretum and the “real estate development” is now Broadmoor.
Thirty years passed when the Puget Mill Company sold 216 acres to the Broadmoor Golf Club Corporation. As the sport (golf) had been steadily increasing in popularity, it was decided that an 18-hole course should be built surrounded by 300+ residential home sites. The course was designed by A. Vernon Macan who had studied golf course design while in recovery from a leg surgery. Once the plan was set in stone, young men in the area spent their time preparing the acreage for seeding and landscaping.
The Puget Mill Company agreed to contribute funds to the exclusive Broadmoor Clubhouse that was being promoted as a “Country Club within the city”. In 1927, John Graham, Sr. was hired as the architect in designing the clubhouse. The first home in Broadmoor was built in 1920 and owned by a family from Shenandoah Valley, Virginia. The owner asked the Broadmoor Corporation to name the street on which the house stood for their previous home and so it became Shenandoah Drive.
To read more about Broadmoor and Madison Park history, one should read Madison Park Remembered by Jane Powell Thomas.